- February 27, 2007
- Pre .96
- template filter django slug built-in
- 4 (after 4 ratings)
This is just a very short (and mostly useless on it's own) example of how the built in slugify filter can be used in a Python script to generate slugs. It was pulled from a script I've written to pull in items from Upcoming.org's API.
I post it because "sunturi" posted Snippet #29, which duplicates the functionality of the built-in slugify filter. In the comments of that snippet, santuri (and others) seem to believe that template filters can only be used within templates. This is incorrect, and I think it's important people understand they can be used elsewhere.
sunturi's snippet does remove prepositions from values before slugifying them, so if you need that, his code will work work. But if all you need is slugification, the built-in slugify filter will work fine -- in a Python script, as well as in a template.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
if city: from django.template import defaultfilters city_slug = defaultfilters.slugify(city) state_slug = defaultfilters.slugify(state_abbr) if state_slug: location_slug = city_slug + '-' + state_slug else: location_slug = city_slug
More like this
- Built-in Slugify with filtering. by jcrawford 6 years, 7 months ago
- slugify js -> python by santuri 8 years, 9 months ago
- Automatically slugify slug fields in your models by Aliquip 8 years, 8 months ago
- Database template loader by doomatel 3 years, 8 months ago
- slug_and_slash_to_dash - modified slugify for urls by bradmontgomery 5 years, 3 months ago