Sometimes we need to build a ChoiceField from data in a Model or more than just one model via fk's but the ModelChoiceField is not that flexible. So, in order to obtain a list of tuples with pk and a descriptive text for the choices parameter of the ChoiceField use this little function.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
def prepare_choice_list(keys_QuerySet, values_QuerySet, foreignKey_field, localKey_field): # gets the values of the FK in the model as a list of tuples in the form: # [(row1_FKValue,),(row2_FKValue,),...] # uses distinct() to not repeat values in the option list a = keys_QuerySet.distinct().values(foreignKey_field) #and then expand the tuples in a single list of elements a = [v[foreignKey_field] for v in a] b =  for v in a: # search the "human readable" values in the related model # for the keys before extracted bs = eval("values_QuerySet.get(%s__iexact = '%s').__unicode__()"%(localKey_field,v)) b.append(bs) #inserts a empty option as the default (first) option in the select #just comment the two lines below if you don't want it a.insert(0,"") b.insert(0,"----------") # the zip funtions joins two lists in the form [(list1_value, list2_value),...] return zip(a,b)
More like this
- Stuff by NixonDash 1 month ago
- Add custom fields to the built-in Group model by jmoppel 3 months ago
- Month / Year SelectDateWidget based on django SelectDateWidget by pierreben 6 months, 2 weeks ago
- Python Django CRUD Example Tutorial by tuts_station 7 months ago
- Browser-native date input field by kytta 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Please login first before commenting.