- March 1, 2007
- Pre .96
- models generic
- 0 (after 0 ratings)
In this type of model you are allowed to define a model with a generic type.
For instance, a location can be an address, GPS coordinates, an intersection and many others types. Using a many to many field, models can have multiple locations without worrying about the type of location referencing. New locations types can be added without changing the references in other models.
This code is also used in Django's built in ContentTypes app.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
from django.db import models class GenericModel(models.Model): app_name = models.CharField(maxlength=64) model_name = models.CharField(maxlength=64) object_id = models.IntegerField() def get_model_class(self): return models.get_model(self.app_name, self.model_name) def get_this_object(self): return self.get_model_class()._default_manager.get(**kwargs) def __str__(self): return self.get_this_object().__str__()
More like this
- Model merging function by xaralis 4 years, 4 months ago
- Manager method for limiting GenericForeignKey queries by zerok 6 years, 7 months ago
- URL models by diverman 5 years, 5 months ago
- unique_together with many to many fields by j4nu5 3 years, 6 months ago
- Generate Model Data. Lots of Options. by bl4th3rsk1t3 5 years ago